Return to Food Preservation Page
2. Mix onion, green and hot peppers, sugar, mustard, allspice, cinnamon, cloves, turmeric and salt into pears.
3. Cover and bring to a boil; uncover, boil 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Ladle into hot jars
leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Seal. Process in a
hot water bath for 20 minutes.
pounds medium-ripe pears
2. Put through a fine sieve, pressing with spoon to yield about 10 cups pear sauce. Puree pear sauce in a food processor or blender. This step creates a smooth Pear Honey. If a more textured spread is desired, skip this step.
3. Return puree to saucepan; stir in grated orange rind and nutmeg. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and boil gently 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add honey; return mixture to a boil; boil gently 20 minutes or until Pear Honey mounds on a spoon or reaches desired thickness.
4. Ladle into a hot jar leaving ½ inch head space. Seal. Process in a hot water bath for 5 minutes.
Recipes from the University of California Cooperative Extension's Common Ground Garden.
Copyright 1997 Seasonal Chef