Roasted Garlic Scapes [top]
Sea or Kosher salt
1. Preheat over to 425 °F.
2. Take the scapes and put them in a lightly oiled roasting pan, top with salt.
3. Put the loaded and covered pan in the oven for 30 to 45 minutes or until they are beginning to turn brown.
4. Serve as a side or main dish.
Garlic Scape Soup [top]
2 tablespoons clarified butter or extra-virgin olive oil
2 dozen garlic scapes, chopped
3 large russet potatoes, unpeeled and cut into ½ inch dice
5 cups vegetable stock or water
2 large handfuls spinach leaves, stemmed
Juice of ½ lemon
½ teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup heavy cream (optional)
Chive blossoms, for garnish (optional)
1. Heat the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, then add scapes and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes and stock, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through and beginning to break down.
2. Remove from the heat, add the spinach, and puree using a hand blender. (If you must use a conventional blender, be careful; the hot liquid can burst out the top and make a huge, potentially painful mess. Try leaving the lid slightly ajar to allow steam to escape. Cover the top with a kitchen towel and blend in batches at low speed.) Season with the lemon juice, salt, and a few grinds of pepper. Whisk in the cream for a silkier texture.
3. If the soup tastes flat, add salt a few big pinches at a time until the flavors really pop. Serve garnished with the chive blossoms.