Two Grapefruit Recipes from Florida
(8-ounce) Mahi fillets
1. Combine all ingredients and mix. Ladle mojo to cover Mahi, reserving remaining mojo. Marinate for two hours.
To Prepare Black Bean Puree1. Saute garlic, onion and chili pepper until soft. Add beans and stock. Cook 15 minutes. Place in blender, process until smooth, Season.
2. Heat salad oil in saute pan until very hot. Place fish and cook approximately 2 minutes on each side. Ladle black bean sauce on serving plate and set fillet on top. Ladle a little of remaining mojo on fish. Serve over mash potatoes, if desired. Garnish with grapefruit sections.
Marty Blitz of Mise en Place, Tampa
Key West Shrimp
2 cups pink
1. In small sauce pan combine all ingredients except the shrimp and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes until liquid is reduced by half. Pour through fine strainer, reserving liquid and chill until cool.
2. Pour 2/3 of marinade over shrimp reserving remaining marinade for stew (recipe to follow). Let shrimp marinate in covered container in refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
(Tip: Marinade can be prepared ahead of time and shrimp can marinate in refrigerator for up to 48 hours before cooking and serving).
1. Core and dice tomato into ½ inch cubes, removing seeds.
2. Cut red potatoes into ½ inch cubes and blanch until tender (approximately 4 minutes).
3. In a saute pan, heat up the reserved marinade until boiling. Once boiling, add potatoes, tomato, red onion and cilantro. Reduce sauce by 3/4 then add citrus segments.
4. While sauce is cooking, remove shrimp from marinade. Discard used marinade. On charbroiler or grill top, grill shrimp for approximately 2 minutes on each side.
5. Serve shrimp on bed of rice with stew ladled on top.
Chef Carmen Gonzalez of Tamarind,
Copyright 1997 Seasonsl Chef