Visit Seasonal Chef's Food Preservation Page
Two Quick No-Cook Pickle RecipesThe Big Book of Preserving the Harvest, by Carol Costenbader.
The recipe for Fresh-Packed Refrigerator Dill Pickles, from the same book, which calls for lemon juice and water in lieu of salt and vinegar, didn’t work nearly as well, when I tried it. I sorely missed the salt and vinegar.
4 cups sliced pickling cucumbers, 3-4 inches long
Combine the cucumbers, onions, and salt in a glass or ceramic bowl. Let them stand 2-4 hours to extract the moisture.
2. Rinse and drain the vegetables well, blotting them with paper towels to absorb all the moisture.
3. Combine the remaining ingredients and mix well until the sugar dissolves completely, about 10 minutes.
4. Pour the cucumber mixture into clean freezer containers, leaving 1 inch of headspace for expansion. Cap and seal. These will keep up to 1 year in the freezer.
5. To use, thaw about 4 hours in the refrigerator.
10-14 whole pickling cucumbers, approximately 2
1. Pack sterilized jar with the cucumbers, dill and garlic, alternating layers, leaving ¼ inch headspace.
2. Pour lemon juice over cucumbers and fill jar with cold water.3. Seal and refrigerate. These will keep at least 6 weeks.
Copyright 2005 Seasonal Chef